Tuesday, July 3, 2007

What a month!

WOW. Just... wow.

Since I last posted, DH went out of town for work.
The next week, our A/C broke on the evening of the 13th. It was fixed for a couple of days, and then broken again for 4 days until it could be fixed. We went to live with my ILs during that time.
Then we went out of town -- to California, to the coast.
And now we are back home, where it is HOT HOT HOT. I can't wait for monsoons and fall. Ahhh.

Anyway - it has been insane these past few weeks, and I am working to get re-settled and back into the groove of things.

I have to brag about something - we cloth diapered for our whole road trip! A 12 hour drive there and back, and lots of driving in between. I did it!! I think we used ONE disposable diaper and two disposable swim diapers. That's it. I am very proud of myself, so I'm tooting my own horn on that one. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and everyone was so supportive. My SIL even asked all about it, and wants to maybe start doing it. :)

Which segues quite nicely into my next part -- I am copying/pasting my efforts to be more green into my blog and doing a little check-in with all of that:

~*~*~*~

Things I am doing now:

~Cloth diapering - CHECK! This is up and running and going strong, so I am removing it from my list, since it's now a permanent part of my life.
~Going organic -- yeah well... I haven't been great at this with all the craziness of the past month. It's expensive and kind of a pain. So I need to get cracking on this again.
~Cloth napkins/rags -- still using cloth rags. We ran out of paper towels and I have not bought anymore. Still using our supply of paper napkins.
~Setting the thermostat up a couple of degrees. HAHA!! Yeah well for a week it was up about 20 degrees. Whew! But otherwise, it has been up a couple of degrees, at 76. I am looking forward to getting our new electric bill to see what a difference this has made.
~Quit going out to eat! Uhh. yeah. With traveling and not living at home... this hasn't been good.
~Making food from scratch and using less pre-packaged products. Until we "moved out", I was doing really well with this.
~Using the library instead of the bookstore. -- Yep, doing well with this. I haven't bought a new book in ages. Oops -- I did get some from my Literary Guild b/c I didn't send the response card in fast enough. But that was a mistake!
~Less TV. (this is HARD!) -- This is way easier now that it's summer.

What I am working to do in the future --

~Grow my own fruits/veggies. -- too hot to even think about. Will work on this over the fall/winter.
~Dust off the sewing machine and SEW!! -- sewing room is now cleaned out -- going to paint the room this month and get a couple tables in there, and get moving on some projects I want to do.

Something that wasn't on my list that I started was a clothes line. I have been using it to dry diapers for now, but I plan on doing more of the drying out there. Things dry really fast here!

~*~*~*~

That's about it for today - time to bathe the babe and start our nighttime routine.
I will post more about our vacation later... FYI - N RAN into the ocean on her own, and had a blast out there. She did not get on a boogie board, but we had a great time swinging her around out there and dipping her in the water. She loved it!! But thanks for all the responses reassuring me that I was not being an overprotective mama.

No comments: