Friday, July 6, 2007

Vacation

We had such a great time in California! The drive out there wasn't too bad, which is easy for me to say because DH did most of the driving. We decided to drive overnight, caravan-style with my ILs, so N could sleep in her car seat. She doesn't do well if we are in the car too long during the day. She wants to be out and about, checking things out. So, this overnight driving worked really well for that.

We got there Saturday morning and immediately went down to the beach. It was HEAVENLY. The sound, the smell, the feeling of **cool air**. Especially after the AC being broken -- we were just in paradise. We then went back and the three of us took a 3-hour nap, which was also amazing.

We spent the next few days doing a lot of walking and going down to the beach. DH did some boogie-boarding with his brother and sister's boyfriend. Natalie loved the ocean, as I said in an earlier post. She is truly a water baby. I got very choked up watching her face light up with such pure joy at being in the water and experiencing something new. It's the greatest gift I have ever received, watching this little part of me walking around and soaking up life without any reservation. It's completely overwhelming and I don't even know words to describe it.

Outside of the water, we drove to another beach town and did some shopping. I got a Navajo flute and a really great bag, and of course lots of seafood and clam chowder.

We took a trip to my SIL's house out in the boonies and lost part of the bottom of our car in doing so. There is a little creek right before their house and while driving through it, DH picked up a huge piece of concrete. The ILs brought it home with them, so it will have a place of prominence in our garden. Their property is absolutely beautiful -- about an hour or so from town, which is a little scary, but also so peaceful. I was a bit envious, I must admit.

The next day, we drove a couple of hours away to visit DH's old neighbors from when he was growing up. These are some of the kindest people I have ever met, and we had a blast that night and the next day, sitting around and talking and eating way too much food.

Then on Saturday, we went to my niece's first birthday party, which was a BBQ pool party and very fun. The food was delicious and the birthday girl showed N how to chow down on cake. She must have learned something from her, because since we returned home, N has been more interested in table food. Yaay! Anyway, we left from the party to drive straight through the night again to get home. (Again, mostly DH!! I drove the last 1/3, he drove the first 2/3. He rocks.)

And here we are! I have spent this week getting myself pulled together. Although I am VERY low energy today and wish I had a second chai from Starbucks this afternoon... mmm...

2 comments:

Mrs. Bear said...

Where were you in California? I love the ocean, I don't know if I could move away from it. It sounds like little Nat had a great time. Can you believe how fast they grow up?

Ms. Kiki said...

We were in Cayucos for the most part. It's by San Luis Obispo. We also went up to Los Banos, which is about an hour away from Fresno.

And no I can't believe how quickly it is going!! I get so teary-eyed looking at N's baby pictures!! She's a toddler now, which is awesome, but it's so bittersweet.