Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Vegging Out?

So in order to continue along my path of becoming a true hippie, I should go vegan, yes? :) I mean, I am already breastfeeding an almost-3-year-old, I'm about to plant a veggie garden in my backyard, I did a stint of cloth diapering, we still co-sleep here and there, I'm a registered Democrat (or more accurately, a bleeding heart liberal, as my father used to say), I've given serious consideration to home-schooling, and my overall approach to parenting is decidedly on the "gentle discipline" or "consensual living" side -- I'm well on my way! I will not stop shaving my pits though. I have to draw the line somewhere. OK, also no cloth TP. So I'm probably more of a mainstream hippie. But still. You see my point. There is an inner hippie that comes out more and more each year, especially since becoming a mom.

Seriously, though -- I watched a couple videos on Peta's web site the other day that had me bawling hysterically. I watched the pigs and chickens and how they are treated before they are made into food. All this after I brought home a pork loin from Fry's. Lovely! (It's simmering now in my crockpot. I figured it was crueler to make his death be in vain and just throw him out. So now he's providing a wonderful meal for a nice family. :) ) ANYWAY -- it got me thinking about this whole vegetarian thing.

I have pondered this throughout the years off and on. I love tofu, hummus, veggie sausage, chik'n patties, vegetables, etc. I think I could truly live without meat. I think. My poor husband. His response? "Could we just get past this phase and move on to your next new thing?" I probably would have gotten mad about that if he weren't spot on. I do like to try new things! :) But this is a lifestyle change.. something healthier, it would cost less, and after watching that footage... I could feel better about the way my food was prepared before it even got to my house.

So I'm online researching recipes to see if it's all something I could handle. Hmm...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

These are the 3 things I've made this week:
1. spinach, mushroom & feta quesadillas
2. smashed chickpea salad sandwiches
3. cous cous w/ spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper, chickpeas & feta

All so good!

sara said...

We go meatless at least 3 times a week, including cereal night. If you want to be completely overwhelmed and inspired, check out Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" from the library. And his "Food Matters" book. He does "vegan until dinner" personally. His books really emphasize that going veggie is about being creative, flexible and using local, in season foods.